Tips for a Successful Campaign
How to make the most of your crowdfunding project
Looking for ideas and a good place to start? Read through the dos and don'ts of crowdfunding.
Timeline and goals
- Successful crowdfunding campaigns run 4-6 weeks. This creates a sense of urgency, inspires donors to give, and limits the amount of time needed to devote to the project.
- Typically, crowdfunding campaigns have an average funding goal between $1,000 and $5,000. The final goal should be determined based on the project’s actual need and the strength of your networks and partnerships.
Setting up for success
- A project should be specific and have a clear outcome.
- Have a clear and concise pitch.
- Use images and video to grab and keep potential donors’ attention.
- Your campaign shouldn’t be a surprise – let people know before you launch the campaign what to expect and when.
- Project Team Members should invite their communities to back the project using social media and personalized emails.
- Encourage people to share your campaign and when they donate.
- Try to have a few people give right at the beginning to show demand, others may be more likely to give.
- Keep supporters updated about progress.
- Thank contributors when they make gifts and let them know their impact.
Examples of successful projects
- Community engagement projects
- Technology and innovation
- Emergency assistance funds for students
- Travel support
- Entrepreneurial experiences
- Day of giving
- Professional development
What will not be considered for a crowdfunding project
- Faculty or staff salaries
- Building campaigns
- Money for tuition